Looking for a new reason to cut down on junk food? Besides the obvious health-related benefits, there’s a recent study that junk food makes up a significant proportion of food-related environmental impacts. It was found that for each household, a massive portion that is to say almost 33-39% of water use, energy use, greenhouse gas emissions and land use went into junk food.
The fast-food industry are catastrophically affecting global warming. Given its high dependence on natural resources such as water, land and feed for livestock, the animal agriculture involved in creating fast food products is a sizable contributor to environmental issues.
What is Junk Food?
What exactly are the criteria for the classification of food? Well. food items and drinks not necessary to provide the nutrients with the body needs, but that may add variety. Many of these are high in saturated fats, sugars, salt and/or alcohol. By contrast, it is a list of those food items which does not belong to the core food groups. Fruits, vegetables, cereals, legumes, nuts and seeds, dairy and unprocessed meat constitute the core food group.
Why Is Junk Food A Problem?
In a warming world with a growing population and dwindling resources, we can no longer afford junk food consumption that harms both our own and the planet’s health. Although the topic of sustainable diets is becoming more popular, the debate and proposed policies have not sufficiently questioned the proliferation of junk food products that use scarce resources to produce empty calories.
Sustainability And Us
Animal-derived foods generally have bigger total environmental footprints than plant foods. This is because of the significant amounts of land, water and feed required by livestock and the methane released by ruminants. Many recommendations to achieve healthy and sustainable diets have therefore justifiably focused on the need to reduce meat and animal-derived product consumption. Going vegan is a great option. But for baby steps going on a vegetarian diet is a good too.
How Do We Modify Our Consumption?
Diets such as the Mediterranean, rich in vegetables, fruit, legumes and whole grains, seem to achieve the right balance between health and sustainability. A key characteristic of the traditional Mediterranean diet is the limited amount of junk or unhealthy food. We all are by now aware of the fires that were intended at increasing grasslands for the beef industry. Why not cut down on meat and eat more of non-processed local green food? Think about it.
What Can Government Do?
The solution should ultimately tackle the heart of the problem, which is why we over-consume these foods in the first place. Encouraging dietary shifts away from junk foods is challenging because of their cheapness, taste and convenience. Junk food is also promoted to consumers for profit. Food producers should ultimately be held responsible for the proliferation of cheap junk food. We need to encourage divestment away from unhealthy, unsustainable products. It should be through regulation and public pressure, following the example of measures to address climate change.
For more, read- Easy Indian Dry Aloo Recipes That You Must Try
What Your Favourite Food Says About You
Are you an extrovert? A risk-taker? A traditionalist? Don’t know? Here are some quirky facts about You and your personality that your favourite food indicates. Sounds a bit crazy, yes. But just read through the article and everything will begin to make sense.
If you put hot sauce on your hot sauce.
If your motto is “it’s not a meal if your lips aren’t burning,” then chances are you like to live on the edge, according to a study presented at the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting & Food Expo. Spicy foods set off pain receptors, which you’d think would be a deterrent to eating them, yet for some people, that’s the allure. The researchers found that people who love their food spicy hot are also adrenaline junkies, desiring novel and intense stimulation.
If your go-to happy food is pizza!
Pizza tops the list of favorite foods for many people. One reason you can’t resist a slice is that pizza is the most addictive food, according to a study published in PLOS One. The combination of fats and simple carbs makes the brain light up like a Christmas tree. But if you love that cheesy, crusty goodness, it also shows that you may be an extrovert, Kessler says. Pizza is the ultimate party food—convenient, cheap, feeds a crowd—which makes it the go-to dish for people who love to be surrounded by others.
If your favorite dessert is an ice cream sundae with a cherry on top.
“People who love ice cream often have a child-like innocence or a sense of wonder,” Kessler explains. Because there are so many options for toppings, cones, mix-ins, and variety, it gives you a feeling that anything can happen, which really appeals to those who love the mystery of life, she adds. And the cherry on top? You love to look for little, surprising moments of joy.
If your secret favorite meal is chicken nuggets and mac-n-cheese.
Forget about fancy Gruyére macaroni and cheese or panko-coated chicken tenders—if you like your pasta straight from the blue box and chicken in a take-out carton, it means that you romanticize your childhood. You’re the one who calls your sister just to share a favorite story about that time the car broke down on the way to Disney.
If your idea of fast food is sushi.
Sushi is portable, convenient, bite-sized, and delicious—the ultimate “fast food” if you think about it. But a spicy tuna roll with wasabi is no burger and fries. Eating sushi as your favorite food-on-the-go shows that you’re sophisticated and open to a wide variety of experiences.
If your favorite accessory is your portable coffee mug.
If your outfit isn’t complete without a Starbucks cup in hand, and you can’t imagine how you’d survive without your daily coffee infusion, then you’re likely a classic type A personality. You’re likely competitive, impatient, and operate under a constant state of stress but you’re also highly organized, ambitious, and great at juggling a busy schedule.
You love gummi worms and everything alike!
Who doesn’t love a good sweet/sour combo? Yet there’s something particularly crave-worthy about those sour fruity candies, especially if you often feel conflicted or frustrated with your life, says Alanna Kessler, RD, a certified dietitian nutritionist in New York City and founder of Be Well. If you constantly crave the two flavors together it may indicate that you get overwhelmed easily but you’re also good at bringing balance back to your life.
Thanks for reading!
Also read- How cutting down on junk food is sustainable
And watch this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn1RFrSVOL4
Pizzadilla: A Unique Twist To Quesadilla
Pizzadilla? Yes, you heard it right! A Pizzadilla is taking any and all of your regular favourite pizza toppings folding them into a tortilla shell in place of pizza dough. A unique twist to your regular chicken quesadilla. Pizzadilla isn’t just a quesadilla filled with mozzarella and chicken. It looks like a real pizza with all the cheesy toppings of a pizza stuffed into a fast, easy, and crispy quesadilla. You can make it easily at home and within minutes. Moreover, find a recipe of a regular chicken quesadilla.
Recipe of pizzadilla:
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium flour tortillas
- 1/3 c. pizza sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c.shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c.freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 c.sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat broiler. In a large oven-safe skillet/frying pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add one tortilla to skillet and spread about half of pizza sauce on top.
- Spread garlic on top and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperoni, and Italian seasoning.
- Top with the second tortilla and cook until cheese is melty and tortilla is golden.
- When ready to flip, cover skillet/frying pan with a large plate and invert skillet/frying pan to transfer quesadilla onto a plate, then slide quesadilla back into the skillet/frying pan, cooked side up.
- Top with remaining pizza sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperoni, and Italian seasoning.
- Place skillet/frying pan under the broiler and broil until cheese is melty and pepperoni is crispy about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
REGULAR CHICKEN QUESADILLA
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 2 c. shredded Monterey jack/ White Cheese
- 2 c. shredded cheddar
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a large skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add peppers and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with spices, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and cooked through, 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 flour tortilla to skillet/frying pan and the top half of the tortilla with a heavy sprinkling of both pieces of cheese, cooked chicken mixture, pepper-onion mixture, a few slices of avocado, and green onions.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over and cook, flipping once, until golden, 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat to make 4 quesadillas.
- Slice into wedges and serve with sour cream.
OTHER INGREDIENTS TO ADD
There are a plethora of ingredients you can add according to your preference. Here are some other great combinations:
- Ham and pineapple
- Sausage, red pepper, and red onion
- Pepperoni, mushroom, and green pepper
- Spinach, mushroom, and feta
- Bacon, ham, and pepperoni
- Chicken, tomato, and bbq sauce
- Spinach and artichoke
Add cheese as much as you like!
How To Make Mayonnaise At Home With Simple Ingredients
Mayonnaise is a delicious, thick creamy dressing layer that is eaten with sandwiches, momos, and fries. No matter how many varieties of mayonnaise are available out there, mayo made at home is the most fresh. There is Veg Mayonnaise Simple, Veg Mayo Garlic, Veg Mayo for Burger, Mayonnaise Classic, Mayonnaise Chilli, Veg Mayonnaise Tandoori, Veg Mayonnaise Green Mint, Veg Mayonnaise Olive Oil, and so on.
For once, skip the store for you mayo needs and learn how to make mayo from home right now! In less than 10 minutes, you will have a thicker, creamier, and fresher mayo made at home!
Note the Ingredients:
2-3 Eggs Yolks
1/4 cup of oil
With the ingredients listed above, you can make mayonnaise at home. You can either use a hand whisk or a food blender/processor for easy emulsion.
- Add the eggs yolks to the bowl and remove the whites. Make sure you whip the eggs very well so that when oil is added, it settles in well. Yolk adds as a thickening agent to keep the richness of the mayo alive.
- Seasonings such as salt, mustard, pepper and other spice according to your preference can be added to yolks. Mix it well so that the flavors get dissolved in the batter.
- Now, add basic refined oil or you can even use olive oil for the batter. The most important thing to do in the step is to be careful about the amount of oil being added. Add oil, little by little, while whisking continuously. Make sure the thickness is retained with every time oil is added.
- A teaspoon of lemon juice must be added in the sauce to add a tangy flavor. This will also help the sauce to thin out a little and sauce-like.
- The mixture should appear off-white or slightly yellow.
- For storage purposes, airtight container or any tight container will suffice.
- Refrigerate until you use it next.
Entertainment4 days ago
Better-Halves Of Our Stars Who Are Stinking Rich
Entertainment1 week ago
Poonam Pandey’s Husband Sam Bombay Arrested For Assaulting Her Just 13 Days After Their Wedding
Travel6 days ago
Countries Where Indians Cannot Travel To
Entertainment1 week ago
Kim Kardashian Moving Ahead With Plans To Divorce Kanye West
Food4 days ago
What Your Favourite Food Says About You
Lifestyle6 days ago
Ice-Water Bath: All You Need To Know
Lifestyle4 days ago
Beetroot Juice: Health Benefits And Side Effects
Lifestyle1 week ago
Bhagyashree’s Two-Ingredient Hair Mask